I hate to admit it, but if I’m being honest, hearing “wow, have you lost weight?!” always brightens my day. In truth, I’ve almost never lost so much as an ounce. The reality is, I always hear that question when I’m wearing the right, figure flattering clothing.
I have been asked numerous times to make a list of items that will look good on women who don’t fit the supermodel prototype, and every time I try and make the list I struggle. It is natural to want to look as good as possible, but I worry about the message behind a list like that. Do I want to tell my customers, my friends, even my daughter, that an emphasis must be placed on looking slender? This question has worried me endlessly and so the list has gone unwritten.
This week an interesting experience changed my opinion. I was styling a woman who was heading to an important conference in Europe and wanted fashionable and flattering ensembles to take with her. Over a glass a wine and few pieces of premium chocolate, I built her a beautiful collection of looks that she was just perfect in. Every time she stepped out of the dressing room she looked thrilled and confident, and through watching her I was able to realize that the important thing about figure flattering clothing is not how it makes us look to others, but how it makes us feel.
When a garment is truly figure flattering, it is more about the confidence and poise it gives us than about the cut. This realization has inspired me to finally share my list with you, and I would love to hear your thoughts on this challenging topic! You can always write me a personal email!
1. Vests are effortless to toss on and are a great way to elongate your silhouette! Chic and modern, my Montana Vest is a perfect piece to complete an outfit and lengthen your look – with pants or even a dress!
2. The Alaska Top drapes flatteringly to conceal your stomach and pairs exquisitely with pants and skirts. It’s oversized and nonchalant, but in a luxurious and dressy silk, and can be worn with a tuck in the front for a totally different look!
3. In classic black or white, my Slate Pants are fitted in the waist and hip and made of a material that is comfortable but supportive. Their architectural shape works perfectly in harmony with curves and they look amazing with heels.
4. With a unique cutaway twist, my Lena Dress shows off the most attractive part of your arm and emphasizes your waist in a feminine and classic way!
5. Many women think “jumpsuits aren’t for me” but that’s because they haven’t tried my magical Calla Jumpsuit! It’s got perfectly tailored sleeves, is draped beautifully like a dress, and is super comfortable.
…I just couldn’t resist adding another favorite item of mine! When we think of figure flattering looks, we often forget the power of the shoe! My Louise Bootie has stunning two-tone color blocking which curves with the line of your foot, and the perfect heel to give you a boost and elongate your silhouette.